Sight and Sound

Therapeutic Free-association.

Name:
Location: Willingboro, New Jersey, United States

I'm a loner; own my own home and share it with a stubborn cat. I think too much and worry about the state of our nation and the world. I find solace in playing jazz and ballads on my piano and taking rides in my old Nissan sports car. I enjoy doing video documentaries.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

So Long - Not Goodbye

He did two years of his army time in South Korea.  He finished his commitment at the Pentagon, where he miraculously escaped the plane bomb that hit it on that dreadful morning.  He was discharged and started college where he hoped to go on with his life.  

One morning he got a letter commanding him to return to service.  He protested that he had done his time and wanted to move forward.  Because of his Pentagon experience, he was heavily recruited by software companies that ring Washington, D.C.  Each time he went for an interview there was some problem that he was not suitable.

It was clear to me that he was on someone’s list and equally clear that if he was ever to find a decent job in his field he had to return to service.  I reluctantly advised him to return and hope for the best.  

I just saw him off to the airport, the first leg of his journey to Iraq.  I revisited our collective decision; when will I see my grandson again?  I curse those terrible people who so doggedly wanted this horrible war.  Where are the sons and grandsons of Cheney, Wolfowitz, Kristol, Bolton, Perle, Rumsfeld and the lot?  

Keep your head down, helmet and flak-jacket on, I said, holding back a tear.  There goes another pawn, another piece of fodder to help George Bush “Stay The Course.”  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home